It's easy to get hung up on broadband speeds - the faster it is, the better, right? Well that is not necessarily true.
The truth is that not everybody needs their broadband to be at the upper end of the speed scale. Although prices are coming down, top-end fibre packages are typically the most expensive broadband options out there, and many users don't do anything online that requires, or benefits from, speeds of 100Mb or more.
For these users, it would be a bit like buying a year's gym membership, then only going once before throwing in the towel - why pay for something if you're not going to use it?
ADSL, VDSL and Fibre will all let you surf the web but as a general rule, Fibre is better than VDSL, VDSL is better than ADSL, but ADSL is a-ok… although you might see some delays or buffering with video streaming or live music streaming at peak times.
You should take the time to consider what speeds you actually need from your broadband package before making any switching decisions. With that in mind, here's a handy list of some of the amazing benefits that 'superfast' Gigabit fibre broadband can supply.
1. Download a 4 minute song (4MB) in 0.03s – WHOOOOOSH!
2. Send HUGE chunks of data and files across the Internet QUICKER than you can write data to a USB stick or thumb drive – WAHEY!
3. Download data at a rate that is as fast as many computers can save the data to their hard drive – HURRAH!
4. Stream — without ANY buffering — AT LEAST FIVE high-definition (HD) videos (1080p) at the same time and you would STILL have enough leftover internet bandwidth to email and surf the web – BOOOOOOM!
5. Download an entire HD digital movie (average size is 14 GB) in a little under 2 minutes – SWOOOOOOSH!
Still not sure what broadband speed you need? Just contact us or give us a call on 0508 2COMPARE (0508 226672)